Karana: The trickster god?
Let me tell you a tale. A tale of bravado! A tale of derring-do! A tale of mastery! A tale of triumph! A tale of shocking betrayal!

It all begins in the Plane of Justice. A young man named Mavuin is sentenced to die. A daring group of adventurers face down the Tribunal to prove his innocence. In thanks, he gives them access to the Plane of Storms, and tells them that Karana carries information they seek.

In the Plane of Storms, they meet Askr the Lost. He is disdainful, until they prove their worth, besting the giants all across the land. They meet his every demand, until, at least, he recognizes their mettle and grants them access to Torden, Bastion of Thunder, home of Karana. They know they soon the answers to their questions will be found!

But not yet! First, the must master the towers of Torden. First, the mini-lords of the main hall die, one by one, providing the pieces to the keys to the towers. Then the tower lords die, and keys are gathered to the central tower, where Karana is being held captive by Agnarr the Storm Lord.

At last, the day comes when Agnarr will die. A finer assemblage of adventurers has never been seen. They gather in the courtyard, prepare themselves, and then storm the tower.

First to die is Evynd Firestorm. He is weak, and provides no challenge for these might warriors. Next to fall is Emmerik Skyfury. He is made of sterner stuff than Evynd, but succumbs just as quickly.

Finally, the noble band reaches Agnarr himself. Agnarr is too cowardly to fight alone, and constantly calls upon his tower lords for reinforcements. Temerity shows no such weakness, and is not afraid to put their finest tank up against Agnarr alone, while they dispatch the tower lords, one by one.

[Image: Agnarr.jpg]

Agnarr is unable to withstand the onslaught, and is destroyed! As their reward, the adventurers claim two items from his corpse:

[Image: stormridersgaunts.jpg]
[Image: Karanaa_Tear_POP.jpg]

And then Askr the Lost leads them up the stairs, and they finally have the chance to meet Karana, free him from his captivity, and learn what he can tell them:

[Image: Karana.jpg]

A quick look around the room reveals that Karana's captivity has not been as torturous as our adventurers had believed. He has a nice, comfortable bed:

[Image: KaranaBed.jpg]

And plenty of reading material:

[Image: KaranaBooks.jpg]

And then comes the unkindest twist of fate imaginable! Karana deceives them! They hail him, and he gives them a message, but does not indicate that they should inquire further. And so these adventurers return to the Plane of Knowledge, thinking they have heard all that Karana has to say. They return to Grand Librarian Maelin, and the librarian informs them that they did not interrogate Karana deeply enough. "Interrogate??!?" they cry! "We rescued him from captivity, we did not wish to cause him any further suffering. We assumed he would tell us all he knew, right from the start!"

And so our heroes were stymied on their quest to progress through the Planes of Power. They shall soon return to Karana, and will wring every last detail out of him, and then continue on their way through the planes.

Here ends the tale.

Tem,

Thanks for the Stormriders Gauntlets and they fit like a glove. Graphics show the back of the hand white with the palm silver. I shall give up my dark ways of Vex Thall black and red and move to the "yang". Thanks again

(Lumbar)

F Karana, he's tricksey! Sad
Rheyn O'Seelen [Barbarian Prophet of the 65th rite](retired)
Alternates:
Onyanka D`Ssussun [Dark Elf Cleric of the 31st rung] & Nana [Halfling Druid of the 12th circle]
[Image: th_Bronies-tolerateandlove.jpg]

I think Zorblak was a Bard in a former life! He tells a mighty tale!

I had such a wonderful time with you all this evening! What a fun event that is, hard work pays off!!! Thank all of you for working so hard, we are an amazing team!

Ouch. I missed all the fun.

Well we will be back I am sure.

"trickster god." zorb, do you know of the comedian Bill Hicks? he used this term to describe the god who hides dinosaur fossils to "test the faith" of his believers.
[Image: 773.png]

Corba Wrote:"trickster god." zorb, do you know of the comedian Bill Hicks? he used this term to describe the god who hides dinosaur fossils to "test the faith" of his believers.

The "trickster god" is a mythological archetype. From Wikipedia[1]:

Quote:In mythology, and in the study of folklore and religion, a trickster is a god, goddess, spirit, human, or anthropomorphic animal who plays pranks or otherwise disobeys normal rules and norms of behaviour.

I think that by not flagging us with a hail, Karana very clearly disobeyed normal rules and norms of behavior. :-P

There are many well-known trickster gods from various mythologies. Loki is probably best known, from Norse mythology, but Anansi, Coyote, Puck, and others are pretty widely recognized.

In EQ, Bristlebane is actually the trickster god, but I decided that Karana deserved that designation for his cruel prank last night.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster_god

Zorblak Wrote:The "trickster god" is a mythological archetype. From Wikipedia[1]:

this was my next guess Big Grin

Well woven Zorb - the pen is truly mightier than the sword when wielded properly!

We did indeed move swift and there was much ownage (and there was much rejoicing...).

Fun event - where do people place it in relation to other PoP bosses with regards to overall difficulty?

I'm stoked about the fact that the encounter seems farmable, dare I say... and the exercise in teamwork was fabu -

I said it -

F A B U

:p

Thik
Forest Stalker Thiklan Ghengis
>>-------->   Keeper of the Wood :p
Thiklan's Mac'Gelo  Nesta's Mac'Gelo

[Image: ThiklanFinal.jpg]

Thiklan Wrote:Fun event - where do people place it in relation to other PoP bosses with regards to overall difficulty?
He's comfortable esconsed in Tier 7, with a difficulty level comparable to Cursed, Ssra HP, and AD...
[Image: 1424.png]

Congratulations, ya'll - glad to see Temerity is still kicking ass and taking names. That really does blow though you didn't get flagged...
Justice - L60 Paladin

Defender of the Downtrodden
Champion of Lost Causes
Tilter of Windmills

thanks, Justice. we have recently killed that fruity, dress-wearing bastage again and got flags!