Quadding in the Plane of Fire
For years, I've read about it on the EQ wizard forums: The Holy Grail of wizard soloing: quad-kiting at the tables in the Plane of Fire. With the death of Solusek Ro, I finally got the opportunity to experience this myself. It was all I had hoped it would be. It's challenging, exciting, and a single mistake can spell death. And the XP is incredible! Even on PC side it's really good, but when you factor in our special Al'Kabor bonus, I got 86% of an AA per quad!

Not content to have fun all by myself, I took some video of myself quadding, and turned it into a video for all of you to enjoy. This is my first EQ music video, I hope you all like it!

(And yes, I know my musical tastes are odd and fairly limited, so my choice of musical accompaniment may leave a bit to be desired... I tried to pick pieces that I felt captured the mood of each scene.)

(And for those wondering how long it takes, you can see my little timer in the top right corner.)

http://homepage.mac.com/jmrobins/PoFireQuad.mov

Good work Zorbo! Watching your vid at work makes me wanna call in sick and head straight to PoF!!

saving it right now!

just wait until some of the necros get flagged. you'll see how the tables are supposed to be solo'd!

You are the man! I was trying to watch your xp % when they were dieing. Looked like it went from a single digit to doubles quite fast. Nice!! And GRATZ!! WooT!!Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Tolnak
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

--Benjamin Franklin

[Image: 2048670.png]

Just watched, cool vid.

Brings back memories and the definite desire to go back to PoFire

2 more minis and one Prince of Fire to go...

That was pretty cool, Zorb. So it looks like the aggro radius is pretty small on the mobs on the way to the tables and during the kite. So how long did the quad take or would take if not making a vid? It looked like about 20 mins for that quad if so wow that is awesome xp.

Anyways nicely done, was cool to watch I haven't quad kited since I was raising up my druid.
[Image: 597.png]
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]
Boombots:
Medicineman (65 Human Mith Marr Cleric), Twinblades (65 Dwarf Rogue), Rejected (65 Gnome Bertox Necro),
Cathbu (65 Halfling Karana Druid), Savmaster (65 Vah Shir Beastlord), Tenash Urteeth (65 Vah Shir Shaman),
Oben (65 Erudite Mage),
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Kaboom Wrote:That was pretty cool, Zorb. So it looks like the aggro radius is pretty small on the mobs on the way to the tables and during the kite. So how long did the quad take or would take if not making a vid? It looked like about 20 mins for that quad if so wow that is awesome xp.

The aggro radius is not huge. Getting to the tables is actually kind of tricky. You need to thread the needle through the room just before the tables. Too far to the right, and you aggro that large platform full of mobs. Too far to the left, and you aggro mobs in the buildings. It took me a couple of tries to get that down pat.

Before I edited it down, the total length of video I had, from when I zoned in until the end of the kite, was just over 20 minutes. The quad itself takes about 10-12 minutes, generally (though that depends a lot on resists), and then I have to med up again. But yeah, the XP is really good.

Zorblak Wrote:The aggro radius is not huge. Getting to the tables is actually kind of tricky. You need to thread the needle through the room just before the tables. Too far to the right, and you aggro that large platform full of mobs. Too far to the left, and you aggro mobs in the buildings. It took me a couple of tries to get that down pat.

Before I edited it down, the total length of video I had, from when I zoned in until the end of the kite, was just over 20 minutes. The quad itself takes about 10-12 minutes, generally (though that depends a lot on resists), and then I have to med up again. But yeah, the XP is really good.

A comment on this: The aggro range of everything in the area is extremely small but there are a lot of mobs around. You can invis past everything except the nameds in the open field before the tables fort. It's best to stick to the sides along the walls to run around to the fort, but you shouldn't need to worry about see invis mobs until you reach the fort when some cross back and forth along the front door. Just time those wanderers paths and run in when it's clear. Inside the fort is the part where Zorb mentions "threading the needle," and this is where I suggest hanging slightly closer to the buildings than towards the mobs on that elevated platform. Don't be on the building or the doorway and just make sure you don't dilly-dally through that part. Even if you are in a mobs aggro range, if you run fast enough, you often wont aggro it at all. Other thing to mention is run through the equidistant center of all doorways, that way you won't aggro the mobs that flank each doorway.

Other than that the only 3 things to mention are that 1) the assist range of the mobs is teeny, so you can pull singles easily, 2) Some of the mobs (outside the tables kiting area) are casters and will not cooperate with your quad kite. They will stop to cast and will mess everything up so make sure to kill them single or first. 3) you can get pretty close to the named balrog that guards the path to Fennin Ro but there is such a thing as "too close," and Redleaf can vouch for that. Big Grin
Arguile Ganjpuffer

Shtop looking at me shwan.

Amazing Zorbo!

Too much fun. I can hardly wait to get there.
Wotan at your service!

Great video Zorb. I liked your choice in music. Big Grin
• Socratus Wittgenstein - Retired.
• Zinovya - Human Cleric...err...Holy Paladin
• Dominica - Draenei Mage
Shield of Azeroth, Alleria

And there’s a hand my trusty friend!  And gives a hand o’ thine!
And we’ll take a right good-will draught, for auld lang syne.
For auld lang syne, my dear, for auld lang syne,
We’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

Great job on the movie. I also liked your choice of music.
Bora Gann
Warrior of Rallos Zek
     (Retired)

Zorblak Wrote:Getting to the tables is actually kind of tricky. You need to thread the needle through the room just before the tables. Too far to the right, and you aggro that large platform full of mobs. Too far to the left, and you aggro mobs in the buildings.
There are mobs in the buildings? I just run thru there.

You must not have The Luck of the Bard.

Edit: Oh yeah, nice movie, and I too liked the music choices.
Wookie is just this guy, ya know.

Wow, great job Zorb.