old EQ players thinking of moving to Macs
Hi,

My wife and I are both interested in playing again on a *classic* Everquest server but we find ourselves with a problem. We hate the crap EQ/PC has become but we are stuck with PCs.

Before embarking on a project to acquire Mac hardware or investing any time in growing new characters we would like to get a good feel for what the community and style of play on the server is.

I am curious as to the health of the server playerbase and guild population. I I hope you do not mind my questions here.

Your guild initially drew my attention as the farthest along in progression but also struck me as quite reasonable in its approach to gaming (as opposed to PC/EQ guilds that were often worse than second jobs).

Q) Is there a nice mix of family guilds and raiding guilds and unguilded or is there just a few guilds that mostly raid?

Q) What is the playerbase like, how stable, how dedicated to progression?

Q) What is the burnout rate due to flagging/reflagging and other progression related burnout issues?

Let me clarify where I come from and provide context to my questions.

In the original EQ I played on Rallos Zek (PVP) from 1999 to ~2005 and on and off on other servers for a couple years. I noticed the content and style of play changed SOOOOOO much the player base was obsoleted by design. The release of ever more zones leaving empty world, silly expansions, bad game design changes and item inflation that went along with it all ruined the game, ruined the fun and people left in droves.

For those that stayed... raiding/progression burnout took care of the rest.

I am thinking of asking my wife and daughter and some old friends to come back and play here BUT I would like some perspective on the style of play from players here. After reading various forums on the web the whole server sounds like a dream and I would like a dose of reality before taking the plunge.

So if you are still reading.... I am very curious to hear your rants and opinions about the state of the EQ version 2003.... in 2009 =)

Please feel free to pm or email me as well if you're bored and would like to say your 2cp worth.

Thanks!

Wilkxus Lupinexeus

Wilkxus Wrote:I am curious as to the health of the server playerbase and guild population

Al'Kabor has a low population for sure, with a influx of new players lately. In the lower levels it can be a bit of a pain to find a full group of players to exp with, but it isn't impossible. If you and your wife/family/friends plan on playing together, then you're going to be in good shape.

Wilkxus Wrote:Your guild initially drew my attention as the farthest along in progression but also struck me as quite reasonable in its approach to gaming (as opposed to PC/EQ guilds that were often worse than second jobs).

Temerity is definitely not a "hardcore raiding guild". Actually, there isn't such a thing on this server. We are just getting into the elemental planes and have yet to slay a EP boss, but that day is coming sooner than later. We're just finishing up some keying. Temerity tries hard (to a fault) to not leave anyone behind. Our philosophy is - real life first. Always has been, always will be.

Wilkxus Wrote:Q) Is there a nice mix of family guilds and raiding guilds and unguilded or is there just a few guilds that mostly raid?

Like I stated above, I wouldn't say that any guild is hardcore. I think the "family guild" model is the norm here, with Temerity being closes thing you're going to get to hard core and even then we're more of a crusty surface with a warm marshmellowy middle.

Wilkxus Wrote:Q) What is the playerbase like, how stable, how dedicated to progression?

The player base is chill, fun and laid back. There is no competition for the mobs Tems hits regularly (well, very little at least) since we have progressed further, faster than the rest of the server. Tems is dedicated to having fun and seeing every last bit of Al'Kabors content. Period.

We're still here after, what? 6 years? So yeah, we're stable, have a AAA credit rating and haven't accepted any bailout money from SOE Big Grin

We're here till the end.

Wilkxus Wrote:Q) What is the burnout rate due to flagging/reflagging and other progression related burnout issues?

This is the only thing that I see as a deal breaker for a lot of current and past players. On Al'Kabor we can't gimp people into flagging zones, so we are constantly reassessing our forces, determining what keys/flag new members need and then knocking them out. The trick is to get everyone on board in doing this and then preventing insanity from setting in as you kill TT for the 827387875th time.

The good news is that your timing is excellent, as Tems has already done a lot of the heavy lifting. We are starting to see the light and with the addition of good people like yourselves, will be the first players in EQ history to definitively "beat" Ever Quest.

I hope my comments helped. Al'Kabor is a one-of-a-kind server with an even better, reasonable, rational community that will keep you subscribing year after year.

Peace.

Red

What Red said.
[Image: 773.png]

What Corb said about what Red said.:p

Tolnak
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

--Benjamin Franklin

[Image: 2048670.png]

Welcome here! I hope to see you join our ranks in the near future. Mac > PC!
Uerinka Ganjpuffer  I was going to conquer the world, then I got distracted by something sparkly....
250+Trophy in Tailoring, Baking, Jewelcraft, Fletching and Pottery. Smithing 233+15%
Narkotika    Kismet    Starleigh   Moonbeam

Uerinka Wrote:Welcome here! I hope to see you join our ranks in the near future. EQMac > EQPC!

Fixed it for you.
Asher - Maestro

I have a few more things that could use some fixing... Big Grin Wink :p
Uerinka Ganjpuffer  I was going to conquer the world, then I got distracted by something sparkly....
250+Trophy in Tailoring, Baking, Jewelcraft, Fletching and Pottery. Smithing 233+15%
Narkotika    Kismet    Starleigh   Moonbeam

Asher Wrote:Fixed it for you.
Nope. You and her have it right!:p

Tolnak
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

--Benjamin Franklin

[Image: 2048670.png]

As posts go, I dig the list of questions, as it gives us a good idea that you know your shizzle... and Redleaf did a good job of giving you a summary of the state of affairs on the server.

We've seen enough of an influx of newer players that we've been rocking all sorts of older world content for nifty loots just cuz. This can be done off raid nights, and we've been mustering a good two groups + and roving the world of Norrath slaying whatever needs deading. A bunch of the loots are either upgrades or handy clickies, weight redux containers, etc.

One of the biggest advantages we have on our server is that camps aren't usually crushed with tons of people camping the same spawns, so you can do all sorts of quests and camps more or less when you please.

We're a helpful lot - check out any of our membership in Norrath and I'm sure you'll find that to be true.

Thanks for stopping by with such poignant q's - hope to see you in game soon.

Thik
Forest Stalker Thiklan Ghengis
>>-------->   Keeper of the Wood :p
Thiklan's Mac'Gelo  Nesta's Mac'Gelo

[Image: ThiklanFinal.jpg]

...a long long time ago in a server far far away I started playing EQ on the PC. Mind you I had no idea what I was doing roaming the lands in fine steel armor paying way to much plat for Ports and SoW's but I digress.

Mind you this was pre Luclin so the xp places were Estate of Unrest, Crock alley and the Orc Hwy in the desert of South Ro. Splitpaw, HHK, KFC...etc. All those fine killing spots that were long waiting list are wide open.