A Thing Called Kiting
Okay, so I made this bard 2box thinking 'hey this might be good, I can kite around and let my mage nuke and his pet's backstab might be good, or if my mage's pet is tanking bard could still complement it'.

Well once my bard hit level 27 I sent her out to Dawnshroud Peaks for a little lesson on charm kiting. It was going well, about 3% exp per kill, so I decided 'maybe I'm too strong for Dawnshroud, I wonder how I will do in Marus Seru on Stonegrabbers'. So off I went.

Here is a bit from EQDiva for those who are not as familiar with charm kiting.

Charm Kiting - Certainly the kiting technique requiring the most skill and finesse, and resulting in the most potential damage and experience, Charm Kiting is pure bard mayhem. Starting at level 27, when a bard acquires Solon’s Song of the Sirens, a bard begins to learn this devastating form of combat. In Charm Kiting, a bard will use his Siren abilities to ‘charm’ one mob, thus making it his/her obedient pet, and use that charmed creature to attack another. Generally, this pattern of charm/attack continues until the ‘pet’s’ health is low enough for the bard to Chant Kite (pick a method) the mob to death and reap the entire experience associated. Charm Kiting is employed against two or more mobs and can result in considerable experience gain, but it requires considerable practice and skill.

Swarm Kiting
– A variation on Charm Kiting, swarm kiting is the most devastating and difficult form of bard kiting. The procedures for Swarm Kiting are essentially the same for Charm Kiting except that the number of mobs increases dramatically. In Swarm Kiting, the bard will attempt to pull as many mobs as possible into the pattern. There he will ‘charm’ one mob and make it his servant, send it to attack the other mobs in the pattern, assist where necessary, evaluate the relative health of his pet, reapply charm if needed and re-send to attack, and finally Chant Kite the former pet to death, thanking the other mobs following for doing all the brute work.

Now that you have an understanding of how charm kiting works, I'll continue with my story.

I said to myself 'Rider, what if you pulled as many Stonegrabbers as possible, that would be some sick exp, worth at least a level or two'. I rounded up a good bit of Stonegrabbers and took them back near the Sanctus Seru zone line for kiting.

Well, I figured with this many Stonegrabbers my soon to be pets would die way too quick so I figured 'why not try AoE kiting first, it can't be too hard right'.

I proceeded to try and AoE them but got continuous misses, and eventually I learned the biggest lesson a bard can learn. There is such a thing as too many Stonegrabbers.

Well, I love them anyway. I think I'll stick to 10 or less for the time being though.

Disclaimer: I /who'd constantly to make sure I was not putting anybody else in danger (that nobody was in the zone) in case they were also fighting here, if they were I would have ended in death immediately.

--------------------------
UnRetired member of Temerity
if you can read this, you're browsing the web wrong.

Edited by Aarlo 5/20/2004 1:50 PM (Most Recent)

just an FYI for ya, stick to 4 or there abouts till you get the hang of AE kiting. When you get extended notes AA's then try kiting more then 20

Tycho, Rogue Wanker and Officer
Primal Legion
Aife, Forsaken Priestess and heal bot

yeah i started off with 2 in DSP, then 2 again in marus seru, now im trying to move up to 3 and adjust if theres adds. baby steps.. baby steps.. i would try and post another shot on how i really am doing it, but im afraid of guildportal now.

Underachiever

--

Kyth, Officer of Temerity

Random quote: (Click here to view all quotes)

Just let me know when you wanna see a real train mkay?

Tycho, Rogue Wanker and Officer
Primal Legion
Aife, Forsaken Priestess and heal bot

one of these days ill make fansy proud trust me.

OMG!

I have trouble killing one gad damn rat in PoJ and this is what you are doing? NERF all toons for god's sake. this make me nuts. I mean has anyone ever even read about a bard that doesn't have them wearing smelly perfumes and fluffing their lengthy curls while strumming on a lute?

Bitter and willing to admit it.

Laeden
~Rootbear, pilikia (clr), moki (bst), shamoo (shm), tootle (brd), snoot (shd), snozby (enc)

Volotham, i wanna see a real train Mkay? can i lol, it would be great if you linked one!

The King of Death, Saenayil Shadowraith