So ends an era....
The hardest working man in show business....

The Godfather of soul......

[Image: newT1.james.brown.2.jpg]

/mourn Sad
[Image: cUfeQ.jpg]

Wulfgar 52 Warrior....frolicking in PoFire!

chown -R us ./base
[Image: 1874700.png]
[Image: 3656981.png]

Damn, I didn't know that =/
[Image: Sig.jpg]

That is the third musician that has died in the past year whose music I'd listened to the day before. I played "Greatest Hits of James Brown" yesterday.

Similarly, I played a Desmond Decker CD the day before his death. And I met a guitarist who played a bunch of Syd Barrett tunes for me the day before Syd passed.

Should I only listen to music by people who are already dead?
Leisure

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

Leisure Wrote:That is the third musician that has died in the past year whose music I'd listened to the day before.
Seconded and carried. Leisure is hereby banned from listening to living musicians! :p
[Image: 1424.png]

Leisure Wrote:That is the third musician that has died in the past year whose music I'd listened to the day before. I played "Greatest Hits of James Brown" yesterday.

Similarly, I played a Desmond Decker CD the day before his death. And I met a guitarist who played a bunch of Syd Barrett tunes for me the day before Syd passed.

/em tells Leisure to start listening to rap. Big Grin
[Image: cUfeQ.jpg]

Wulfgar 52 Warrior....frolicking in PoFire!

chown -R us ./base
[Image: 1874700.png]
[Image: 3656981.png]

Utdaan Wrote:/em tells Leisure to start listening to rap. Big Grin

/agree
[Image: Sig.jpg]

Do those performers genuinely count as musicians?
[Image: 1424.png]

/AGREE!
Rheyn O'Seelen [Barbarian Prophet of the 65th rite](retired)
Alternates:
Onyanka D`Ssussun [Dark Elf Cleric of the 31st rung] & Nana [Halfling Druid of the 12th circle]
[Image: th_Bronies-tolerateandlove.jpg]

Utdaan Wrote:/mourn Sad

Indeed. Listening to him repeatedly taught this white boy how to "make it funky."

Sad

Yes, there are good rappers. You may not have heard them, but they are out there I assure you. There are also rappers who are genuine musicians, Mos Def for example. The problem is that the rap culture is dictated by corporatism (just like every other "genre" of "popular" music) so that the only rappers you are exposed to suck. But they suck as a result of being a commodity and not as a result of being rappers. THe same can be said for rock music. All the shit that gets played on the radio and television sucks but that doesn't mean there are no good rock musicians.

I know some of you may not be so serious. But this really is a terrible argument that a lot of people believe and it is terribly ignorant if not altogether prejudiced. Music is a form of art, therefore a form of expression. Hip hop and rap are legitimate art forms even if they are poorly represented by the mainstream media - but then again, what isn't? It may not be your cup of tea, but get off your high horse and recognize that your opinions are subjective.
[Image: 773.png]

/giggle

I hear you Lish, i grew up on rap, and lots of great local philly rappers.. however, it isn't the music/beats, etc. that bothers me about rap, it tends to be the lyrics. There are several rappers, moreso old school, that I really have respect for, but the pop ones you mention are not as creative - it's like fast food versus sitting at a real nice restaurant, and I for one choose not to choke down the fast food. The raps that I will always turn off will be the ones that are about the stuff one has, and how pimp they are - and there are a vast number of rap artists who repeatedly beat this dead horse.

I don't think we're at risk of Leisure running out and buying all the rap CD's on the shelf either, so I thought the joke was worth a giggle, given the recommendation was being made to Leisure.

Thik
Forest Stalker Thiklan Ghengis
>>-------->   Keeper of the Wood :p
Thiklan's Mac'Gelo  Nesta's Mac'Gelo

[Image: ThiklanFinal.jpg]

I like some nascent rap, e.g. Grandmaster Flash and Funkadelic. Don't listen to commercial radio at all (eat my shorts, Clear Channel). Even so, sometimes accidentally rap reaches my ears and maybe it has a snappy beat... but inevitably as soon as there are lyrics it's about bitches and hos blah blah blah.

Even the women rappers seem bought into the pseudo 'sploitation culture. Sometimes it's less the music than the fans that are problematic. Of course, I despise white-boy wannabes in their suburban "ghettos."

Similarly, I like hard core punk but disliked most of the people who were into it... not hard to imagine how the spin-off to neo-Nazi skinhead punk happened. On the other hand, Grateful Dead-type music is imo mediocre and, well, boring... whereas the people into it are typically very, very nice.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Pandora?
Leisure

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

rap = crap - c

Jay Z is my jiggah though
p-unit foeva

Big Grin
Perin  Perrin Goldeneyes 
The pInking'Gnomerlord & Short-Bus Operator

Heart

Yeah, most rap sucks. Some doesn't though. One of my favorites is Busdriver. Little to no gangs-bitches-guns content that I can think of. I guess it's more "hip-hop" than "rap", but in the last decade or so it's basically the same thing. One of my favorite lines:

"Kids...if you want to piss off your parents...show an interest in the arts!" Big Grin

Hahahaha.

I also like Grand Buffet. Check out the song "Murphy" if you can find it.
Ms. Viva IceBear
Deceiver of Temerity

Good girls don't play rogues.

Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Viva Wrote:I also like Grand Buffet. Check out the song "Murphy" if you can find it.

Is that anything like Jimmy Buffett? Big Grin
Nikolai Lianfyrr,
Khati Sha Feral Lord