Leopard Compatibility
So anyone tried Leopard yet with Everquest to see if it still works ok.

Seems to work fine. The graphics seem to be better for me now.

I had an issue with Spotlight trying to index everything all the time, causing EQ to be choppy and occasionally freeze up for a couple seconds.

I fixed it by just telling Spotlight not to index any of my drives. Now EQ runs smoother than it ever had and as Sassis said, the colors are more vibrant. I'll experiment later to see if I can get away with having Spotlight not index just my EQ folders.
[Image: cUfeQ.jpg]

Wulfgar 52 Warrior....frolicking in PoFire!

chown -R us ./base
[Image: 1874700.png]
[Image: 3656981.png]

Did sass have the same issue with spotlight?

I don't think so. He has an Intel Mac, and mine is a G5. I heard from Lyrad that Lana (Intel Mac) had no problems either. It may just be related to Leopard and non-Intel Macs.

chown -R us ./base

I got the Blue screen of death. Luckily, there's a couple fix (archive and install) or go into the root stuff. I picked the root command lines.

Utdaan Wrote:I don't think so. He has an Intel Mac, and mine is a G5. I heard from Lyrad that Lana (Intel Mac) had no problems either. It may just be related to Leopard and non-Intel Macs.

I've installed Leopard on my PowerBook G4, and didn't have any issue with Spotlight. I haven't put it on my G5 tower yet.

Zorblak Wrote:I've installed Leopard on my PowerBook G4, and didn't have any issue with Spotlight. I haven't put it on my G5 tower yet.
It could also be that I didn't have Spotlight turned off on my tower after both drives failed a couple months ago. Installing Leopard kept the same settings (everything on) and just became more intrusive to my data.

In any case, the fix so far is to put all drives into the Privacy tab of Spotlight (in the System Preferences).

chown -R us ./base

Spotlight went crazy on my brothers macbook after I installed it as well. (I remember the same symptoms when I first installed 10.4 many years ago on my G4.) It did its thing for a few hours and then was fine and we havn't seen a blip since. I assume it was probably just re-indexing its metadata for some reason.

I have to look in to weather or not spotlight is also connected to the caching of icons and previews in the finder's new use of Cover Flow. That could also be connected to a global slowdown if indeed it is caching folders ahead of time.

As always, run Diskwarrior or boot from your system disc and run Disc Utility before any sort of system upgrade. If you have a second hard drive and can backup the whole system drive beforehand I would recommend doing so and then doing an 'Erase and Install' on your system disc. Formatting and starting over clean has always produced the cleanest and fastest results in my experience. You can then import the user data from the backup disc afterwards. If that is not an option, I would always recommend an 'Archive and Install'.

I have yet to do any real benchmarking, and can't wait to get back on my G5 and run tests before and after, but Leopard really is fast. I would say they really have done some nice work under the hood, because i've never felt apps so responsive before. It's not that things were slow before, but now things just fly. It's really quite impressive and I can't wait to dig in to the new frameworks. Anyone with a good G4 or anything higher should really get Leopard hands down. Its probably the greatest upgrade I've seen since 10.2 came out and the delay was worth it.

Fenneddar Wrote:As always, run Diskwarrior or boot from your system disc and run Disc Utility before any sort of system upgrade.
Errrrmmmmm.... Diskwarrior is not for noob use :p

Seriously, though, be careful of Diskwarrior's recommendations as they may not always be appropriate for your system.
[Image: 1424.png]