So ends an era....
Thiklan Wrote:/giggle

I hear you Lish, i grew up on rap, and lots of great local philly rappers.. however, it isn't the music/beats, etc. that bothers me about rap, it tends to be the lyrics. There are several rappers, moreso old school, that I really have respect for, but the pop ones you mention are not as creative - it's like fast food versus sitting at a real nice restaurant, and I for one choose not to choke down the fast food. The raps that I will always turn off will be the ones that are about the stuff one has, and how pimp they are - and there are a vast number of rap artists who repeatedly beat this dead horse.

I don't think we're at risk of Leisure running out and buying all the rap CD's on the shelf either, so I thought the joke was worth a giggle, given the recommendation was being made to Leisure.

Thik

/agree

KRS1 comes to mind as one of the better rappers out there.
If I had to choose, I would pick FUNK any day of the week. Also, Soul is another great style. Then there is Blues, Love it!! One of my all time faves, Bigband. Can't get enough of that swing!! Oh yeah, Techno/House is the bomb!!

Tolnak
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

--Benjamin Franklin

[Image: 2048670.png]

By the way, R.I.P Gerald Ford, they come in 3's

Tolnak Wrote:One of my all time faves, Bigband.

Billy Cobham is releasing a big band tribute to the Mahavishnu Orchestra. From the samples I heard, it should be fanfuckingtastic.
[Image: 773.png]

Quite simply - The funkiest man ever to walk the planet!

I will be going to see his boody tomorrow at the Apollo Theater.

kaotic

I like some "rap". I mean, hellllooo....Blondie's Rapture! However, this "chit" that's being spouted by Chingy and 50-cent, is plain ridiculous. While I love the beats and find myself nodding my head to it, as soon as they start talking, I wanna yak. That also goes for some of the crap spouted by other musicians/artists of other genres.

Unfortunately, Leisure has decent taste in music, so...we're screwed...and now she listens to Pandora...she's gonna like other good music...sigh...(Wink)

...I kid, but really, James Brown was a legend.

In honor of his passing I leave you all with this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G45u17vaUCM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G45u17vaUCM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Rheyn O'Seelen [Barbarian Prophet of the 65th rite](retired)
Alternates:
Onyanka D`Ssussun [Dark Elf Cleric of the 31st rung] & Nana [Halfling Druid of the 12th circle]
[Image: th_Bronies-tolerateandlove.jpg]

Corb is absolutely right. If you know your hip-hop history you'd understand gangsta rap has become one of the most commercially affluent sub-genres over the past 15 years. The way most of rappers describe the reality of their inner-city life is just like a lot of the TV shows you see nowadays. One of the earliest gangsta rappers was from the east coast, Thiklan probably knows him, he was from Philly, MC Schoolly D, with his 1984 Gangsta Boogie. Ice-T, Run DMC, and LL Cool J really disseminated the socio-political lyrics about gun-play and street-violence in the mid-to-late 80's. Another one of the more popular rap groups were the Beastie Boys with their Licensed to Ill album in the late 1980's. Some say it degrades the African American culture as well. I just hate how everyone bitches about "rap this, and rap that". Honestly if you are going to critique any art-form, music especially, something that you have every right to turn your ears away from, at least understand where it's spurning from. If you HATE wrap music then maybe you could do a bit to assist our society in it's rapid-downfall into annihilation, although it's hard to do while playing EverQuest.

BTW, did anyone know that the doomsday clock was set to 5 minutes until midnight? Kind of coincidental considering that's 1 minute per year until 2012 metaphorically speaking. The Mayan long calendar ends in 2012, along with various other proclamations.

Deviante Wrote:One of the earliest gangsta rappers was from the east coast, Thiklan probably knows him, he was from Philly, MC Schoolly D, with his 1984 Gangsta Boogie.

Of course, Schoolly D on cassette ftw!

Thik
Forest Stalker Thiklan Ghengis
>>-------->   Keeper of the Wood :p
Thiklan's Mac'Gelo  Nesta's Mac'Gelo

[Image: ThiklanFinal.jpg]